Thursday, June 19, 2008

Bradley Todd Herman

This by far the hardest post i have ever written. As most of you know, Mat and i were expecting our second child. last week i didn't feel him move for a few days. I started to get worried and decided to call the Doctor. Our worst fears were confirmed when the Ultrasound technician told us she couldn't find a heartbeat. My heart exploded. I couldn't understand why this was happening, or what had happened. I had just been to the Dr. the week before and everything was perfect. As i sobbed the Dr. told me that i needed to go to the hospital and have a C-section. I can't even describe the mix of sadness, and loss i had at that moment. We checked into the hospital at 3 pm. They couldn't do the operation until 10pm, so I just had to wait. It was so awful, i don't think i have ever cried so much in my entire life. Matt and a member of the stake presidency(Brother Jefferies) gave me a blessing before i had to go. It was such a comforting and powerful blessing. I am so grateful for the priesthood in my life. When they had done the surgery, and they were stitching me up, they told us that Bradley's umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck 4 times. It was very unusual and just an accident. I was relieved to know that it was nothing that i had done , and that it wasn't something genetic, that could affect other pregnancies. he was such a beautiful boy. He was 2 lbs 1 oz and 13 in. long. He looked perfect. He had red hair and big hands and feet. infact, he looked just like Matt, with my nose. He was just what we wanted. we had time to hold him and talk to him. It was a bitter sweet moment. I was so happy to be with him and so sad the let him go. Matt loved him immediately, and was so happy that he decided to see him and say goodbye. This past week has been so serial and almost not real. We had a funeral for Bradley yesterday and it was beautiful. Matt and my Dad spoke. Matt's Dad, and Grandma gave the prayers and we had a wonderful organ medley played. It couldn't have gone better. Brother Jefferies dedicated his grave and all the kids put roses on his casket. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been here for us, for all the phone calls and flowers. Thank to my ward for so much support and love. I don't think i have ever felt so loved anywhere else. I love you guys and pray that your homes will be happy and filled with the spirit. I don't know when this pain will pas but i do know that my Heavenly Father loves me and that i have a perfect little boy waiting for me in Heaven. Thank you for all your prayers, i have felt everyone of them.

13 comments:

wangie77 said...

April I am so sorry and sad to hear about your precious little boy. YOu and your family will definitely be in our prayers. Love Angie

Eric said...

April I am sorry to hear about that. I hope you are doing alright. You have the right attitude though. You do have a perfect little boy up there with heavenly father. Always remember that. We love you and will keep you in our prayers as well.

Englishfam said...

April my heart has been aching for you every day. I hope you know how much I love you and would do anything for you! I haven't tried calling you again because I figured you had a lot going on but just know that I have been thinking about you every day and saying prayers for you that you will feel comfort and love from Heavenly Father and all of us around you. How fun that he had red hair! So cute, you got your redhead right? :) I love you guys!

Shuldberg said...

I'm so sorry April. I can't even imagine the pain you must be feeling. The gospel is such a blessing, especially during these times. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

The Long Family said...

A million more prayers for my dear friend! I love you!

The Adams Family said...

I just wanted to tell you that I love you and I hope that you know that many people are praying for you and thinking about your family constantly! I called and talked to your mother in law on Sunday. I will call again sometime soon so you can have some time to your family. I just wanted you to know that we are thinking about you and that we love you!

losing my needles said...

Again April, I think about you several times a day, and each time my heart just goes out to you.

Fisher Family said...

April, I'm wiping the tears away after reading your post. My heart aches for you, your husband, and Bailey. Your faith and strength is inspiring. Our prayers and love go out to you and your family.
Hugs*

Tammy said...

I love you April! I am sooo sorry!! :(

Ashlyn Stephenson said...

April, I can't stop crying, my heart aches for you. Sometimes its hard to understand why we have to go through the trials that we do. Bradley sounds so precious, and I love that he looked just like Matt. We are so blessed to have the gospel in our lives, and the eternal perspective it gives us. We love and miss you. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.
P.S.
Will you e-mail me your e-mail address. I want to send you an invite to our family blog. Our e-mail address is castephenson@hotmail.com. Love you, Ashlyn

Mel said...

April :(((((((((( Many sad tears for your family! Thanks for sharing your story even though I know it was so hard! I pray for you everyday and hope that comfort and peace are with you. I can't even imagine what you are going through, Bradley sounds so cute! Love you Love you Love you!

suzy's jewels and gem said...

tears come down my face has i read your post:( your in my thoughts daily!!! i love you and matty.

Erin said...

April--I'm so sorry for you. My heart goes out to you. You and your family will be in my prayers.